Subscribe with Bloglines

Sunday, November 05, 2006

November Knit In


We had quite a show at the Knit-In last night at Gourmet Yarn. I've been to many knitting events and while all are great company and great motivational opporunities I always have the most fun at Margaret's.

Could it be the company I keep? lol As you can see Karen is very tickled by something. Anita is looking on wondering what on earth she's laughing so about.





Karen sees that she has some "gifts" and I'm sure Anita is thinking....what on earth??















Now Karen is really laughing hard. She knew the joke that Terri thought of and the rest of us were in on. Anita is biting her lip wanting to know what's so funny in that paper bag.

Last week Terri and Karen had a conversation about travel and hotel stays. It seems that Karen has a little "habit" that goes beyond what the norm is. Not only does she take the little soaps and shampoos in the room, she takes the toilet paper also!! So Terri decided it would be a great joke to gather bunches of partial rolls of toilet paper and "gift" Karen. It really was hilarious.

Speaking of Karen, I hope she doesn't mind that I'm going to tell about the contest she participated in recently. A local radio station was giving away $500 to the best time saving tip. Karen entered with her tip of using white vinegar in the dishwasher instead of the expensive rinse agents. I thought it was a GREAT tip!! Well, it was good enough she won $50. Not the top prize but still yet. Congratulations Karen!! I have the dishwasher running as I type with white vinegar in the rinse dispenser.


We also had ENTERTAINMENT at the Knit-In!! Anita is an accomplished autoharp-ist. (Is that the appropriate way to say that? lol) Not only does she play well she sings too! She played a couple of songs for us. Here she is just starting to play.











This is Anita singing the next song where she taught us to yodel. I could tell she's taught more than one crowd how to yodel. Yay Anita!! Thank you so much for playing and singing for us. You made it a very special evening.













On the knitting front: For some reason the Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran in Quartz caught my attention last night. As usual I had to take a skein to the table to see if I could bond with it. No problem. It's nice and cushy so it passed the squeeze test. Then I rubbed it over the inside of my forearm. Wow. It is a lucious feeling yarn. I found the pattern for an Irish Hiking Scarf on the net the other day and fell in love with it. So!! That is what I'm knitting with the Silkroad Aran.




If you read Knitter's Review you probably read about these needles on the newsletter Clara put out this week. (If you haven't discovered Knitter's Review please do!! It's a great resource plus a fantastic enabler for knitters! www.knittersreview.com) Anyway, I discovered these needles a few months ago. I rarely ever use DPN's but I fell in love with the tin. My hardest decision was whether to buy a size I might need or to choose the tin color I liked best. Sigh!!! the size of needles won out. These needles are very pricey for 5 DPN's. $28. Yikes. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I paid that much but I was really buying it for the tin. I was a bit disappointed when it arrived and I saw it was so small. I thought it would be a larger tin. Anway, I won't be paying that much for anymore. I had made that decision previous to the not-so-good review Clara gave the needles. But since there seem to be issues with them maybe they'll reduce the price OR maybe they'll sell the tins for needle storage!! Hey! That isn't a bad idea!


This is the latest on the cuff down sock I've been knitting. As you can see I'm at the end of the toe. No, I've not done the killer kitchener stitch yet but I will once more attempt to do so. Grrrrrr!! I'll be using a video on the internet that is supposed to be excellent. Keep your fingers crossed for me!! If I'm successful with this toe, I'm going to start a pair of gift socks immediately. By the time I finish those, I'll be ready to finish the second sock of the Chameleon.

MIA at the knit-in last night: Emily, Linen and Nina, Christy, Shelly and Rosemary. Ya'll missed a fantastic Knit in!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

The scarf is looking beautiful! : )

I hated to miss the knit in yesterday...I'm still crying.

The sock looks awesome and I'm sure that you and Kitchner stitch will be best of friends soon! I know you can do it and the video at Knittinghelp.com just can't be beat.

I want to hear Anita!!!!

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you need help with your Kitchner stitch, look at this site:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php

Sure wish I could have been there yesterday to laugh along with everyone!
CurliSu

1:47 PM  
Blogger Soonerbeknitting said...

I really like the look of the scarf - Silkroad is one of my favorite yarns!

Good luck with the Kitchener. I manage it best with Sally Melvilles directions from The Purl Stitch.

I get to go to OKC next weekend - sure hope there is some Shaefer left at Gourmet Yarns!

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Knit-In was great fun last night. Autoharpist is correct and it was great fun to play for you all. I'm just glad no one threw leftover balls of yarn at me!!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Sounds like you ladies get up to some crazy fun there in OKC! I wish we had a good LYS with a good Knit Night. Although I think I would just end up spending a ton of mney, so maybe I'm better off...

5:48 PM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

Sorry I missed it! Looking forward to a knit night soon!

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ladies looked as though you were having the best time. I'm jealous. I have been tempted to buy those DP's but I feel so guilty as I have so many and it's really just the container I want.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks look great! I'm glad to hear all of these reviews about the needles...before everyone goes broke trying to get a bunch!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I hate that I missed another knit-in. It sounds like it was a ton of fun, as usual! Had Miss Savy's 5th birthday party that day and no way was I missing that! Hope to be there next month!

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home